Tuesday, September 6, 2011

33 weeks right?? Nope Aaron Jeffrey Mensing had different plans

Meet :Aaron Jeffrey Mensing



Born August 31st 1:33 PM 4 lbs 10.8 oz, 17.32 inches


Here’s the story of Aaron’s early arrival!


Monday August 29th, I wasn’t feeling very good all day, I felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest, I had had a splitting headache that wouldn’t quit for over a day and the swelling had reach “gi-normous” status by lunch time. I suggested to Jeff that maybe he should pick up a home blood pressure monitor so we could take it that evening. Boy am I glad that I did! The reading was 155/100 so we called the doc and she said that was not good, but that since it was a new cuff that we should run to cub or Walgreens and take it at one of their kiosks, ugh.. 175/110 was that reading..so off to the clinic to see the doc we go. Who knew that would be the beginning of what would be one of the scariest and most amazing weeks of my life!


The doc did a check on me and declared that I now had Preeclampsia and would need to be admitted to the hospital.. I was not a happy camper.. I hate hospitals (they equal a LOT of needles to me). Luckily the rooms at the Maple Grove Hospital are more like hotel suites and include a nice pull out bed for Jeff to be able to stay with me. Sooo began my fight with my body to remain pregnant and to get my blood pressure to lower so I could be able to go home. It also began my unhappy relationship with Magnesium Sulfate..(and the dreaded Mag-head) They put me one Mag to make sure that I didn’t have a seizure or a stroke since my blood pressure was off the charts and was really dangerous. I can now say that that is the ugliest drug I have every been on in my life.. It was like having the flu, being run over by a dump truck, having your body being set on fire, and having an asthma attack all at the same time for two full days. I got really sick on the mag and they had to take me off it Tues afternoon.


On Tuesday I was sent down for an internal ultrasound to see how the baby was doing, he was doing great…but I got the news that although the last ultrasound had shown that the placenta had moved enough, this ultrasound revealed that there was too much vascular growth near the cervix that I would not be able to deliver vaginally afterall.. .my heart sank…I was wheeled back up to my room and began to try and make peace with that news. There were discussions of bedrest and the fact that the baby was going to need to be taken via c-section in the next week or so.. “What do you mean a week or so… I’m only 33 weeks pregnant!!?!?!” I felt like the air had been punched out of my lungs and I just wanted to go home so that I could prepare for him to come early, and to get out of the hospital so that I could stop equating my being there and being sick from the preeclampsia and the mag-head that I had from the meds, with the arrival of our baby boy. I also needed to review the c-section part of the info that we got from our birthing classes that previous weekend because I ignored that section since I didn’t think I needed to pay attention (what .. they were loooong classes)


I thank god that Jeff was there with me as there is no way I could have made it through being at the hospital that long.. he was so loving and supportive and dealt with nurses coming in every couple of hours and turning on lights all night long, knowing that he wouldn’t get any sleep and that he still needed to go to work on Wed morning. By Wednesday morning they had my blood pressure stable (still waaaay too high but stable) and we were just waiting for my protein labs to come back to find out what the next step was. The nurse had done a litmus stick protein test overnight just to check my levels and they came back with only trace amounts so we assumed that the big sample that I had done would show similar results and I assumed that I would be discharged that afternoon to go home on strict bed rest for a week or so….so Jeff left that morning and went to work and said he would be back at lunch time and hopefully I could go home, and I went back to sleep.


At 11:30 am I was napping when a doctor came into the room whom I had never met, she introduced herself and in a no non-sense manner said “We got your labs back, they aren’t good, we are doing a c-section in 45 minutes”


“what?… no!. Jeff’s not here.. and I’m not ready!” After she made that announcement it seemed like there was a whirlwind of activity in the room.. nurses prepping me and taking blood and oh yeah they started me on Mag again (ugh) all the while I sat in the bed and cried and panicked and tried to get a hold of Jeff or my mom or someone.. nobody was answering their phones and I was scared to death I was going into surgery alone. Finally Jeff answered and I had to tell him he had 40 minutes to get to the hospital because his son was being born ! I also finally got a hold of my parents and my mom left a full shopping cart in the middle of the grocery store aisle to come down.



I was scared to death !




The surgery went fine (I won’t go into details here) and at 1:33 PM I was able to meet Aaron Jeffrey Mensing for the first time… it was the most amazing moment of my life. He came out kicking and has been doing fabulous since. At 33 weeks he’s small … but he really is living up to the meaning of his name “Mountain of Strength” as he’s doing incredible. The first few days were really hard as I was still in the hospital, but Sat night I was released and we are now working on healing and getting a schedule set up to see him, as he remains in the special care nursery for now. We are hoping to have him home in a week or two since he has been surpassing all the milestones that need to met except for being able to take a bottle consistently. He still has a feeding tube, but has even been moved into a normal crib and out of the incubator. Jeff and I are very involved with his cares when we are there and Jeff is getting to be a pro at cleaning “explosive” diapers even ! So just like the rest of his journey into this world, and my pregnancy, it’s been an adventure and I think he will continue to not do things the “normal” way but will continue to do things the “Aaron” way…


We are so in love!














11 comments:

  1. Wow, what a crazy story! You must have been terified. I am so glad everything turned out ok.
    He is so adorable!!! Congrats mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! I saw your fb page and had to come read what happened. I am so glad you and baby are ok! He is so handsome!! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the arrival of your little boy! I am so excited for you. Sounds like you had a lot going on, but you made it through all of it. Take care of yourself and go snuggle with your little one. Congrats to both mommy and daddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is beautiful! Congratulations and I'm so glad everything went well and smoothly with the c-section even though the circumstances were a nightmare. Get lots of rest and do lots of "last minute shopping" on Amazon if you are missing some things! :-) If you sign up for amazon mom, you get free 2 day shipping :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad he is doing well, I had a feeling he would arrive early but I am glad you made it to 33 weeks. Are you able to put him to breast some too? I knkow he sent you on an unexpected journey but I know you are both so happy. Congratulations! Can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to say I love his name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOODNESS!!! I couldn't believe it when I read the title of this post! Congratulations...he is so adorable. Glad y'all are doing so well! Great pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!! He is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I can't find your email for some reason but I wanted to check on you. I hope things are going well and I am sure you are super busy. Just wanted you to know I was thinking about ya!

    ReplyDelete